Each week we’ll endeavour to publish some details of the interesting things that members of DoES Liverpool have been up to over the past seven days. You can find out a bit more about them in our introductory post.
And remember, if you’re involved with DoES Liverpool at all, let us know what you get up to so we can include it here!
At the moment Weeknotes is mainly compiled from Tweets posted by members of the community, using an automated program that searches for the hashtag #weeknotes on accounts we follow. Recently Twitter have suggested that they might remove free API access on 9 February. Although they’ve apparently backtracked on that for the time being, it seems a good idea not to rely on them too much …
DoES Liverpool has now got a Mastodon account (as mentioned below, you can follow us at does.social/@DoESLiverpool or @DoESLiverpool@does.social), and we’re aiming to collect your weeknotes from there as soon as possible (there’s an open Git issue here).
For the time being, it would be great if you could post your weeknotes to both – if you don’t have a Mastodon account it might be a good time to set one up (ask if you don’t know how – there’s a DoES Liverpool instance that people in the community are welcome to join if you want). And please don’t stop posting weeknotes!
Things of Note
- @firstname.lastname@example.org: I literally do not know where to begin here. Sunday meat smoking for the week may become a regular part of my cost conscious regime #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/JYGlW6FT6f
- DoES Liverpool: Great to see Graeme’s Green Woman scrap oak sculpture (created using the DoES Liverpool CNC router), now that it’s finished
- Jackie Pease: Testing my 3D printed LED disk cover
- MCQN Ltd: New boards go to production, and chris huffee shares some KiCad PCB tips. This week’s #weeknotes: Week 904 – Always look on the bright side of life…mcqn.com/posts/week-904…
- DoES Liverpool: Did you hear we joined the Fediverse?! We have our own Mastodon instance that people who are involved with DoES are welcome to join, or you can simply follow us over at does.social/@DoESLiverpool or @DoESLiverpool@does.social #weeknotes
- DoES Liverpool: Also, speaking of #weeknotes, it seems Twitter are going all-in on turning off APIs so we better work on pulling them from Mastodon, fixing this issue! github.com/DoESLiverpool/…
- @email@example.com: And FOSDEM @firstname.lastname@example.org #FOSDEM2023 begins! #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/g8hHTuZOvB
- @email@example.com: The embedded dev room is absolutely PACKED today. Is embedded cool now?#FOSDEM Yocto Project #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/TyvhOdAZa8
- @firstname.lastname@example.org: Off we go again #FOSDEM #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/MBGAyYsRRG
- @email@example.com: Long couple of days. Tired. As ever at #FOSDEM some really new ideas to think about. New and important perspectives. Met some lovely new people. And I still get to go to the #OpenEmbedded Meetup tomorrow to hang with the coolest people in embedded! #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/g3fLxA2nkI
Coming Up in the Next Week
|Monday 06 February, 9:00am-5:30pm||Fearless Academy|
|Monday 06 February, 7:00pm-9:00pm||7pm-9pm Socialist Alternative discussion group|
|Tuesday 07 February, 6:30pm-9:30pm||Hack the Space Evening
We have a regular evening where we look at improving some of the software that DoES runs on. You can join us online at https://ca.meet.coop/b/adr-ctr-trg
|Thursday 09 February, 9:00am-6:00pm||Jelly Liverpool|
|Thursday 09 February, 7:00pm-9:30pm||Maker Night
Our free weekly evening meeting where you can find out about our space and all the making equipment in it, get a laser cutter or CNC embroidery machine induction, and work on projects from physical computing and electronics to 3d printing, routing and sewing. Just pay for materials used.
|Saturday 11 February, 10:00am-5:00pm||Maker Day
Our free monthly daytime meeting where you can find out about our space and all the making equipment in it, get a laser cutter or CNC embroidery machine induction, and work on projects from physical computing and electronics to 3d printing, routing and sewing. Just pay for materials used.
|Sunday 12 February, 2:00pm-5:00pm||Plastic Playgroup (DoES Workshop)
In a world with mountains of plastic and molehills of play, let’s get our spades out and shift the balance.
Make new things from abandoned plastic with us. Plantpots, purses … pedalos?
Shred plastic. Blend it. Meld scraps together with a heat gun. Make sheets. Laser cut it. CNC it. Stitch potato bags together with soldering iron? Make fabrics with a regular iron? What have we got, what can we make? We don’t know – let’s figure it out!
1. No Objectives – this is an aimless and wandering session.
Facilitated by Plastic Tactics – follow @plasctacs on social for the latest updates, and to see what we make if you can’t be here in person
The DoES Liverpool to-do list is stored in the issues of our Somebody Should repository on github. Head over there if there’s something you’d like to report, or if you want to help out fixing things.
Issue counts: 375 open, 1388 closed
2 new issues:
- Light switch in the less-accessible toilet isn’t working
- Create/Update Wiki Pages for Sewing Machines/Overlockers
Featured issue: Write down induction requirements for equipment being promoted to Class Red (i.e. powered and machine tools for wood and metal working). Can we move this on or close it?
No issues closed