Each week we’ll endeavour to publish some details of the interesting things that members of DoES Liverpool have been up to over the past seven days. You can find out a bit more about them in our introductory post.
And remember, if you’re involved with DoES Liverpool at all, let us know what you get up to so we can include it here!
Things of Note
- Thanks to Kirsty for organising a fantastic DoES DoeS Liverpool standup event on Wednesday evening, despite the Tapestry lift woes. And thanks to FH for providing a venue at the last minute. Click here for photos
- Alex: It’s fantastic to finally be able to tell you that we have joined Cohort II of the Digital Security by Design (DSbD) CHERI programme to look at bringing this new hardware security technology to a wider Yocto Project audience! #weeknotes twitter.com/DigiCatapult/s…
- Adrian McEwen: Excellent evening learning about, and trying my hand at making, #biocomposite materials. The #DoESMaterials group workshop invited DeakinBio along to share their work on alternatives to ceramics #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/zbji335I4k
- Alex: It’s a pleasure to be down here with the Dynamic Devices team at today’s Digital Security by Design (DSbD) #CHERI all hands event, learning about software porting to CHERI memory safety! #weeknoteseventbrite.co.uk/e/digital-secu…
- Alex: Pleasure to be here speaking Digital Security by Design (DSbD) @InnovateUK UK Research and Innovation #dsbdallhandsautumn22 #dsbdtech #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/imd5d7oD5y
- Plastic Tactics: Join us on the evening of 22nd October for a free recycled jewellery workshop sponsored by @lcrmayor Liverpool City Region Community Environment Fund – learn about recycled materials while producing your own finished items.
#weeknotes eventbrite.co.uk/e/plastics-to-… @Eventbrite pic.twitter.com/C1Wvo2rDJQ
- Alex: A little more background on our involvement with the Morello #CHERI technology project supporting Yocto Project with Digital Catapult Digital Security by Design (DSbD) #DSbD UK Research and Innovation #weeknotesdynamicdevices.co.uk/digital-securi…
- DoES Liverpool: Thanks to Kirsty Styles, one of our recent Boost members, for organising an amazing DoES DoES Standup event, to the performers, everyone who came and our hosts Fashion Hub Liverpool.
Seems like Kirsty’s up for organising another one, so get practicing your stand-up routines!
- Nicola Harman: Great night with Jackie Pease at DoES Liverpool last night. Working on an Adafruit music maker Halloween make & bouncing ideas for nfc tags to share information, think kids toniebox but for trials. One good project leads to 50,000 more, and just a bit more soldering! #weeknotes twitter.com/i/web/status/1… pic.twitter.com/I5mt2A0i3R
- Jackie Pease: Nicola Harman DoES Liverpool Looking forward to more – thanks for the lovely swag.
- Alex: Busily jail-breaking, reprogramming and configuring a load of The Kettle Companion smart plugs for some lovely new customers. We seem to be the victim of Cybergibbons 🚲🚲🚲 long reach 🤣 I really need these things to come pre-programmed #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/AKL0Dbuuue
Coming Up in the Next Week
|Monday 17 October, 7:00pm-9:00pm||7pm-9pm Socialist Alternative discussion group|
|Thursday 20 October, 7:30pm-9:30pm||Maker Music Night
Got a guitar that’s gathering dust? Want to play drums but worried about disturbing people at home? Interested in meeting with people wanting to play music?
At DoES Liverpool on Kempston St* a few of us have connected through music at the Thursday maker night and we want to open it up for others to join in.
Meetings will take place on the first and third Thursday of each month .
|Thursday 20 October, 7:00pm-9:30pm||
Our free regular evening meetup where you can find out about our space and all the making equipment in it, get a laser cutter or CNC embroidery machine induction, and work on projects from physical computing and electronics to 3d printing, routing and sewing. Just pay for maerials used.
|Sunday 23 October, 2:00pm-5:00pm||
In a world with mountains of plastic and molehills of play, let’s get our spades out and shift the balance.
Make new things from abandoned plastic with us. Plantpots, purses … pedalos?
Shred plastic. Blend it. Meld scraps together with a heat gun. Make sheets. Laser cut it. CNC it. Stitch potato bags together with soldering iron? Make fabrics with a regular iron? What have we got, what can we make? We don’t know – let’s figure it out!
1. No Objectives – this is an aimless and wandering session.
Every two weeks on a Sunday afternoon, between 2pm and 5pm.
Facilitated by Plastic Tactics – follow on social for the latest updates, and to see what we make if you can’t be here in person:
The DoES Liverpool to-do list is stored in the issues of our Somebody Should repository on github. Head over there if there’s something you’d like to report, or if you want to help out fixing things.
Issue counts: 370 open, 1361 closed
No new issues
Featured issue: Get Roland EGX-300 mill up and running. Can we move this on or close it?
No issues closed