Each week we’ll endeavour to publish some details of the interesting things that members of DoES Liverpool have been up to over the past seven days. You can find out a bit more about them in our introductory post.
And remember, if you’re involved with DoES Liverpool at all, let us know what you get up to so we can include it here!
Things of Note
- Jackie Pease: Less than 2 weeks to go until Festival of Maintenance 2022, great speakers and it’s online so you don’t even need to take a train!
More information and tickets at maintain.community
- Adrian McEwen: That reminds me, it’s traditional for one of the MCQN Ltd Ackers Bell prototypes in DoES Liverpool to be set up to ring when the prime minister resigns (we did it for May and Johnson). Has anyone set up the has-Truss-gone-yet website yet? #weeknotes twitter.com/AdamGiddins/st…
- Alex: Bloody hell it works. USB to SATA dongle going to a SATA multiplex board. Liking this. Next we need to try out with the Axzez NAS #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/Cahh15KK4L
- Alex: Awesome! Let us know how you get on Robin Davies – Andy Stanford-Clark Marc Pous Julian Todd #weeknotes twitter.com/rdavies6/statu…
- DoES Liverpool: Lovely cakes from Kirsty to celebrate the last day of her Boost membership.
The good news is she’ll still be around though! She’s taking up our “Flexidesk” option, and don’t forget her “DoES DoES Standup” event on Wed 12th Oct (more info here: eventbrite.co.uk/e/does-does-st…
- DoES Liverpool: Plus she created this poem for us.
- Jackie Pease: Resurrecting this large scale touch sensor from MCQN Ltd x Simon A #geometriclights with Chris Thompson and Mike G, for possible use on a new project.
- Jackie Pease: I’ve been trying out this LED mapper jasoncoon.github.io/led-mapper/
You enter the position of each LED in a spreadsheet and it works out xy coords and radius/angle for FastLED.
I’ve only run Jason Coon example sketch so far but I seems worthwhile for irregular arrays.
- Jackie Pease: Disappointingly I haven’t got #xlights Generate Custom Model to work yet, so have been using laser cut PP grids, then switching on LEDs sequentially, in order to get them into the spreadsheet to start off with…
Coming Up in the Next Week
|Monday 03 October, 7:00pm-9:00pm||7pm-9pm Socialist Alternative discussion group|
|Tuesday 04 October, 6:30pm-9:30pm||Hack the Space Evening|
|Wednesday 05 October, 7:00pm-9:00pm||Liverpool Linux User Group|
|Thursday 06 October, 7:00pm-9:30pm||
Our free regular evening meetup where you can find out about our space and all the making equipment in it, get a laser cutter or CNC embroidery machine induction, and work on projects from physical computing and electronics to 3d printing, routing and sewing. Just pay for maerials used.
|Thursday 06 October, 7:30pm-9:30pm||
Maker Music Night
Got a guitar that’s gathering dust? Want to play drums but worried about disturbing people at home? Interested in meeting with people wanting to play music?
At DoES Liverpool on Kempston St* a few of us have connected through music at the Thursday maker night and we want to open it up for others to join in.
Meetings will take place on the first and third Thursday of each month .
|Saturday 08 October, 10:00am-5:00pm||
Our free monthly daytime meetup where you can find out about our space and all the making equipment in it, get a laser cutter or CNC embroidery machine induction, and work on projects from physical computing and electronics to 3d printing, routing and sewing. Just pay for materials used.
|Sunday 09 October, 2:00pm-5:00pm||
In a world with mountains of plastic and molehills of play, let’s get our spades out and shift the balance.
Make new things from abandoned plastic with us. Plantpots, purses … pedalos?
Shred plastic. Blend it. Meld scraps together with a heat gun. Make sheets. Laser cut it. CNC it. Stitch potato bags together with soldering iron? Make fabrics with a regular iron? What have we got, what can we make? We don’t know – let’s figure it out!
1. No Objectives – this is an aimless and wandering session.
Every two weeks on a Sunday afternoon, between 2pm and 5pm.
Facilitated by Plastic Tactics – follow on social for the latest updates, and to see what we make if you can’t be here in person:
The DoES Liverpool to-do list is stored in the issues of our Somebody Should repository on github. Head over there if there’s something you’d like to report, or if you want to help out fixing things.
Issue counts: 370 open, 1361 closed
No new issues
Featured issue: Kitchen light not functioning properly. Can we move this on or close it?
No issues closed