Each week we’ll endeavour to publish some details of the interesting things that members of DoES Liverpool have been up to over the past seven days. You can find out a bit more about them in our introductory post.
And remember, if you’re involved with DoES Liverpool at all, let us know what you get up to so we can include it here!
Liverpool Makefest – 2nd July
It’s been a while since the last Liverpool Makefest (the last time it happened was in 2019). Just over a month now until the next one on 2nd July 2022 – it’s going to be great to be back at Liverpool Central Library and to meet up with all the other stallholders and visitors, old and new.
Follow @lpoolmakefest to keep up to date, and if you’re a member of the DoES Liverpool community then please get in touch with anything you want to display, or to volunteer on the day. Look out for announcements about our after party and maker brunch too!
It’s that time again! If you or anyone you know would love to use the great making and coworking facilities here at DoES Liverpool but might struggle to afford the membership then our Boost membership scheme might be for you. More details here: doesliverpool.com/co-working/lau…
Things of Note
- Adrian McEwen: Spent an excellent afternoon chatting with a bunch of interesting folk about #makerspaces, jobs, fuel cells and how that might weave into helping #OpenEvertonLibrary. The venue wasn’t the library, but the first iron-framed church which is opposite #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/Hx3TwvElko
- Matthew Croughan: Week 3, hope is lost. #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/UhUhsCrY7j
- Robotorium: I see Hack the Space is going well! Expecting a ransom note from chris huffee reading “I used the fabric scissors to cut these letters from a magazine” #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/RYUUVvxyH9
- Adrian McEwen: This week’s MCQN Ltd #weeknotes, with some product planning: Week 868 – Yet more Ackers Bell dlvr.it/SR3tvP
- DoES Liverpool: Another useful Hack the Space event – we’re moving Sheila the laser cutter into the laser cutter room and had to move out this plan chest – chris huffee, Julian Todd , @helicalbytes and Zarino Zappia replaced some of the drawer runners.
And Zarino put up some lovely old posters.
- Adrian McEwen: #TBThursday is still a thing right? Caroline Keep 🌟😊 reminded me of this blog post from 2015. The DoES Liverpool space has changed massively since then, but the ethos is just the same #DoEpicShit #weeknotes twitter.com/Ka81/status/15…
- Alex: Very exiting vacuum forming lesson from Caroline Keep 🌟😊 DoES Liverpool today #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/k5Hf0fA7oQ
- Alex: Vacuum forming DoES Liverpool with @ka81 and Jackie Pease #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/frR9lJJgog
- Alex: Vacuum forming DoES Liverpool with @ka81 and Jackie Pease #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/rSSGwbZVMc
- Alex: We make a banana mould for you Cybergibbons DoES Liverpool Caroline Keep 🌟😊 #weeknotes !!! pic.twitter.com/zpeeF2Lqji
- Caroline Keep 🌟😊: Bit of vacuum forming today on Mayku up DoES Liverpool with Jackie Pease #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/2ULiF1SGxf
- Caroline Keep 🌟😊: Lovely visit up to DoES Liverpool had a great day 👍❤ So nice just hang out with Robotorium Jackie Pease for afternoon ❤❤ Think Odds made a new friend Robotorium 🤣 The face! #Weeknotes pic.twitter.com/8uA3ubqlRx
- DoES Liverpool: Nalini and Alex having fun with this #mayku #formbox Caroline Keep 🌟😊 brought in for us to have a look at this afternoon
- Alex: I hear a lot about #innovation and #industry4. I strongly believe that innovation happens through play, which leads to experimentation, which can lead to a social good and a commercial value. And above all this model of innovation is FUN… #weeknotes
- Jackie Pease: Fun on Saturday with a #Mayku vac former brought into DoES Liverpool by Caroline Keep 🌟😊. Maybe in future we could look at something like this spacesuit lighting by sophy wong instagram.com/reel/CbYKD3glC… (Instagram, sorry)
Good to see it work with LED strips and laser cuts though.
#weeknotes twitter.com/Ka81/status/15… pic.twitter.com/35APO4b0Gb
- DoES Liverpool: We moved laser cutter Sheila to the laser cutter room last week.
On arrival the chiller unit wasn’t working – perhaps related to this big lump of algae.
Mike G has now cleaned everything out and administered a dose of algicide, so everything is back in working order.
Coming Up in the Next Week
|Tuesday 31 May, 6:00pm-9:00pm||AWS meetup|
|Wednesday 01 June, 7:00pm-9:00pm||Liverpool Linux User Group|
|Thursday 02 June, 7:00pm-9:30pm||Maker NightOur free regular meeting where you can find out about our space and all the making equipment in it, get a laser cutter or CNC embroidery machine induction, and work on projects from physical computing and electronics to 3d printing, routing and sewing. Just pay for materials used.|
|Saturday 04 June, 11:00am-5:00pm||Liverpool Synth Meet Find out more and get your free tickets here|
The DoES Liverpool to-do list is stored in the issues of our Somebody Should repository on github. Head over there if there’s something you’d like to report, or if you want to help out fixing things.
Issue counts: 370 open, 1333 closed
No new issues
Featured issue: Clean the windows in the kitchen . Can we move this on or close it?
8 issues closed:
- Toilet seat broken in more accessible loo.
- Move Sheila into the laser room for the time being
- Should we switch KineticNC post postprocessor for FreeCAD?
- Idea for a Jam Night
- The microwave turntable is turning unevenly
- Print a list of “addresses“ we handle the postal mail for, and put it downstairs, where all the undelivered mail piles up
- Reinstate the FreshStaleLastChance boxes
- Refreshment stores should be organised and labelled to make sure people use them