Each week we’ll endeavour to publish some details of the interesting things that members of DoES Liverpool have been up to over the past seven days. You can find out a bit more about them in our introductory post.
And remember, if you’re involved with DoES Liverpool at all, let us know what you get up to so we can include it here!
Things of Note
- DoES Liverpool: Lovely to be hosting the business boot camp. Look forward to hearing all the ideas and fledgling businesses #weeknotes twitter.com/spinup_science…
- Ross Dalziel: #weeknotes ☕ twitter.com/littlepinkmake…
- DoES Liverpool: Kiwi and lime today #WatercoolerWatch #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/vYPp7dggZU
- Adrian McEwen: So, I should be down in London helping thrash out #iotmark, but instead I’m working on porting Signal to Arduino for the next gen Good Night Lamp. Which, after a fashion, *is* helping with move #iotmark forward… #iot #weeknotes
- Adrian McEwen: OH at DoES Liverpool: “I don’t *think* I ordered that, but it looks like the sort of thing I *would* order”. Response from 100% of the people asked about the random not-fully-addressed package that arrived earlier #weeknotes
- Jake Oliver: Welp maker night successfully reset the days since last explosion counter at DoES Liverpool tonight ? #weeknotes
- DoES Liverpool: New, improved co-working area layout here at DoES Liverpool. Now with 100% more room for epic doers #weeknotes #DoESMove pic.twitter.com/n6Bf1EDKZS
- DoES Liverpool: First coat of paint on the window frames, courtesy of David Frazer #DoESMove #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/qnBkphsKAH
- DoES Liverpool: Good to see the sewing machine getting more use now we’ve got enough room to have it set up permanently #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/qFA7iFdjmA
- Ross Dalziel: All set to print off some Thoughts On the Desktop for NeuroMuscular Centre next week at our #NMCreativity workshop Sat 23rd June #3Dprinting thoughts with an ULTIMAKER GB #weeknotes bit.ly/2Mxv5II
- Adrian McEwen: Turns out the DoES Liverpool sewing machine has a “wiring aperture” setting, to enable easier routing of cables for #wearables projects. Jackie Pease informs me it’s often labelled on machines as a “buttonhole” setting… #weeknotes
- DoES Liverpool: Adding some history to the exhibition area: our 1st #3dprinter, the MakerBot #cupcake #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/wiiyM8riQM
- DoES Liverpool: Levelling up our #AV setup in the events space #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/iir6bsZIsQ
- DoES Liverpool: Julian Todd and caving friends fixing up CUCC expo survey system and spreading the goodness of GitHub issues tracking #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/ZpbGlpN5Pl
Coming Up in the Next Week
|Wednesday 20 June, 6:30pm-8:00pm||Friends of the Earth|
|Thursday 21 June, 6:00pm-8:00pm||Ladies that UX|
|Thursday 21 June, 6:30pm-9:00pm||Maker Night|
|Thursday 21 June, 7:00pm-8:00pm||Community Meeting|
The Big Move
Did you hear, we’ve moved to The Tapestry, just off London Road. We’re open for business, but while we’re settling in we’re including a brief update on how things are going each week.
We’re starting to make ourselves comfortable now, working out how to use the space even better now we’ve lived in it for a bit. Last week that was tweaking the layout of the CNC room, and this week we did the same for the main room. Spinning the co-working desks through 90 degrees meant we could get another bank of six desks in.
Sorting out the desks also led to us tidying some of the other bits of the space and finding homes for things, emptying out more of the “short-term-storage” in some of the side rooms.
The internal windows in Room 29 got their first coat of paint now that the putty has dried, and we set up the new AV gear in the events space to give us better audio for talks.
We also heard back from one of the firms we’d asked about sound insulation. The quote is pretty steep (even with us expecting it not to be cheap), so we’re still looking into that. There is another lead for a different firm, which we’ll look at for comparison.
This week should see work start on fitting out the user-research lab. That’s being done by external contractors, but we’ll need to clear everything out of there ready for them to start work on it.
The DoES Liverpool to-do list is stored in the issues of our Somebody Should repository on github. Head over there if there’s something you’d like to report, or if you want to help out fixing things.
Issue counts: 265 open, 563 closed
5 new issues:
- Buy/find air assist tubing for Gersld
- Member’s rpi based cloud storage
- Devices not connecting to WiFi
- Last one out the hackspace button
- Re-jig the co-working area in the main room
Featured issue: Find the exact features and cost of the missing software for the monster laser cutter. Can we move this on or close it?
3 issues closed:
DoES exists to support the community that uses DoES. If you use DoES, then you are part of that community. If you would like to publicise something related to DoES, you can email email@example.com with the formatted content for us to use as a new blog post. Tell us what you’re up to, and we’ll show the world what epic stuff happens at DoES!