Each week we’ll endeavour to publish some details of the interesting things that members of DoES Liverpool have been up to over the past seven days. You can find out a bit more about them in our introductory post.
And remember, if you’re involved with DoES Liverpool at all, let us know what you get up to so we can include it here!
Things of Note
- IoT Liverpool Meetup: We’re hugely excited to announce our next meetup on 9th April: Andy Stanford-Clark, IBM CTO UK & Ireland, is visiting to speak on how “Innovation Begins at Home” Andy Stanford-Clark DoES Liverpool #weeknotes #Liverpool via Meetupmeetup.com/iotliverpool/e… #Meetup
- DoES Liverpool: Reusing an old laser-cut sign to make us a bit easier to find #weeknotes @ The Tapestry instagram.com/p/Bg1nVxUBaAJ/
- DoES Liverpool: This evening sees the first official DoES Liverpool activity at The Tapestry – Martin Dunschen is hosting Liverpool City Council‘s Liverpool Cycle Forum meeting there. Please excuse the final throes of the decorating! 😀 #weeknotes
- DoES Liverpool: Woo-to-the-hoo! Thanks Caroline Keep, Liam Givens and Smoke & Mirrors who power us through the £4k barrier! #weeknotes ?????? bit.ly/DoEpicFunding twitter.com/Ka81/status/97…
- Ross Dalziel: Thanks to Maker Difference domesticscience Liverpool MakeFest ACE North there are some unusual connected volumes hidden in Liverpool Libraries Ask at reception if you want to play! #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/e6dQrassNq
- MCQN Ltd: Kicking off the final #3dprint (for Museum in a Box) at the original DoES Liverpool location, while all around is #DoESMove chaos #ibal151 #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/zHOBNwCSo1
- Ross Dalziel: There’s something hidden in Liverpool Libraries driven by local history, RFID & micropython built by @ShrimpingIt & domesticscience and it’s internal assembly only possible thanks to facilities DoES Liverpool Want to see more epicness? then dig deep! bit.ly/DoEpicFunding #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/MpCbCNBN9l
- DoES Liverpool: Great family Easter activity at the new DoES. #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/pgmA9hFVos
- John McKerrell: Just me and my laser in the lift DoES Liverpool #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/sIa0xpHC9m
- dazzling: Gerald has left the building!
DoES Liverpool #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/bvg6s1HR89
- DoES Liverpool: First floor, laser cutters, makerspace and desks. Going up #areyoubeingserved #weeknotes @ The… instagram.com/p/Bg_855mBMkV/
- DoES Liverpool: Gerald on Hanover Street – en route from Gostins to tapestrylpl #weeknotes instagram.com/p/Bg_-EEGBFTo/
- chris huffee: Adrian McEwen missing a golden opportunity to demonstrate Newton’s laws.
- David Frazer: DoES Liverpool moving weekend #weeknotes #makerspace @doesliverpool #fomocam @ The Tapestry instagram.com/p/BhB3ZOigWEa/
- David Frazer: First 3D print underway @doesliverpool new home #museuminabox #weeknotes @ The Tapestry instagram.com/p/BhB5GS5gLCf/
- MCQN Ltd: First #3dprint (more Museum in a Box printing) of the new DoES Liverpool at the @tapestrylpl #weeknotes #ibal151 pic.twitter.com/Eh98LJv4mi
- DoES Liverpool: End. Of. An. Era. Goodbye Gostins, it’s been a fun 7 years. #weeknotes @ DoES Liverpool instagram.com/p/BhCArDUhTOM/
- DoES Liverpool: It’s now safe to visit the new @doesliverpool 😉 #weeknotes @ The Tapestry instagram.com/p/BhCF7T1B9rV/
- Alex Lennon: The end of one era, and the beginning of another #DoESMove #WeekNotes pic.twitter.com/IKK9lzN6S0
Coming Up in the Next Week
|Wednesday 04 April, 7:00pm-9:00pm||Liverpool Linux User Group|
|Thursday 05 April, 6:30pm-9:00pm||Maker Night|
The Big Move
So, this weekend was the Big Move itself! Thanks everyone who helped clean, pack, carry… and everything else over the past few days! Everything is now out of Gostins and over at the Tapestry, and as you’ll have seen we are now officially up and running in the new space.
We have plenty still to do before the move is all finished off, so any and all help still most welcome.
The painting is almost all done. The flooring and then laying things out are the big remaining tasks. The kitchen should be plumbed in this week, and the worst of the flooring covered in plywood and carpet (and vinyl in the kitchen).
If you want to help out, check the DoES Move The Tapestry and DoES Move – Settling In labels on the Somebody Should issue list, or get in touch.
Our Crowdfunder Campaign
To help pay for all the costs of the move we’re running a Crowdfunder campaign. We need your money and, more importantly, your help in getting word out about it.
The campaign is going really well! We’re at 90% of our target with two weeks left to run!!! However, there’s nothing to stop us going over our target and making the space even better. In fact, there have been some unexpected extra costs, or at least, the opportunity for extra costs, if we want to make the floors top notch. So, we’re working on some stretch goals – keep an eye out for announcements on them as we get closer to our original target.
Please share it with people you know, email them, tweet about it, post on Facebook or Instagram… it all helps, even if you think you don’t know many people, you’ll know different people. Plus if you tag the DoES Liverpool accounts in any of your social media posts it lets DoES and others share your post too, so giving us more impact than if you just copy one of the DoES posts.
So, get as many people as possible too visit http://bit.ly/DoEpicFunding!
The DoES Liverpool to-do list is stored in the issues of our Somebody Should repository on github. Head over there if there’s something you’d like to report, or if you want to help out fixing things.
Issue counts: 231 open, 500 closed
12 new issues:
- Buy new expanding wall bolts for the “bike securing smiley faces”
- Issues with the availability of alcohol on-premises during events
- Determine maximum occupancy figures for areas within the new space
- Storing sheet materials
- Focus on accessibility over the move weekend
- Prepare toilets
- Get VOIP phone number(s) for emergencies/door access
- Buy a couple of brooms
- Fill in CIC34 form for 2017-2018 year
- Fill in CIC34 form for 2016-2017 year
- Get business cards with the new address and prices
- Google map search to The Tapestry puts pin at wrong location
Featured issue: do a major service on Gerald. Can we move this on or close it?
2 issues closed:
Thanks johnmckerrell, amcewen!
DoES exists to support the community that uses DoES. If you use DoES, then you are part of that community. If you would like to publicise something related to DoES, you can email email@example.com with the formatted content for us to use as a new blog post. Tell us what you’re up to, and we’ll show the world what epic stuff happens at DoES!