Each week we’ll endeavour to publish some details of the interesting things that members of DoES Liverpool have been up to over the past seven days. You can find out a bit more about them in our introductory post.
And remember, if you’re involved with DoES Liverpool at all, let us know what you get up to so we can include it here!
Dates for Your Diary
DoES Liverpool are taking part in Wirral MakeFest on Saturday 3rd June and Liverpool MakeFest on Saturday 1st July. Both are great opportunities for the DoES Liverpool community to show people what we do and what we make (and to meet other makers and see all the excellent things that they’ve been making of course).
If you’d like to come along and help, or have something you’ve made that you’d like to display, then please add your details to the relevant Git issues or have a word with one of the DoES Liverpool organisers. Even if you’re not sure you’ll finish in time it’s useful for us to be able to know what we might need to set up.
Things of Note
- @email@example.com: Just got my first “hello world” Nix flake up and running 🙂 #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/jA8iHhbChc
- @firstname.lastname@example.org: New toys Jackie Pease DoES Liverpool #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/n9cmT7sqJh
- @email@example.com: Are we cool yet?You can’t see what we’re seeing.
#nrealair #nixos #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/hkK2b27BuX
- @firstname.lastname@example.org: Excellent to be here at the #INST kick off meeting! #weeknotes ESA pic.twitter.com/Vc6TZJJvjW
- @email@example.com: The Liverpool Nix User Group (liverpool.nix.ug) was packed with fun tonight. We learned about Forth, Genode, Eris, Plan 9, Mobile #NixOS and played with #nrealair glasses. A spare nix.camp lab coat was gifted 🥼#nixos #eris #genode #forth #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/QIkuztVmAK
- Adrian McEwen @firstname.lastname@example.org: It is not enough to own the means of production; we must also transport the means of production on cargo bikes.Plastic Tactics loading up their shredder, injection-moulder and extruder at DoES Liverpool for a recycling workshop.
#plastic #recycling #BikeTooter #CargoBike #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/ouxerfjN99
- @email@example.com: #nrealair glasses running #swaywm on #nixos using experimental #monado drivers and #stardustxr at full performance on a #Thinkpad T480 after 24+ hours of hacking. I’m having fun. Next step, Raspberry Pi 400.I will look out of place in public.
#weeknotes #openxr #cyberdeck pic.twitter.com/GiiUZGJCEZ
Coming Up in the Next Week
|Monday 08 May, 9:00am-5:30pm||Fearless Academy|
|Monday 08 May, 7:00pm-9:00pm||7pm-9pm Socialist Alternative discussion group|
|Thursday 11 May, 9:00am-6:00pm||Jelly Liverpool|
|Thursday 11 May, 7:00pm-9:30pm||Maker Night
Our free weekly evening meeting where you can find out about our space and all the making equipment in it, get a laser cutter or CNC embroidery machine induction, and work on projects from physical computing and electronics to 3d printing, routing and sewing. Just pay for materials used.
|Saturday 13 May, 10:00am-5:00pm||Maker Day
Our free monthly daytime meeting where you can find out about our space and all the making equipment in it, get a laser cutter or CNC embroidery machine induction, and work on projects from physical computing and electronics to 3d printing, routing and sewing. Just pay for materials used.
|Sunday 14 May, 2:00pm-5:00pm||
In a world with mountains of plastic and molehills of play, let’s get our spades out and shift the balance.Make new things from abandoned plastic with us. Plantpots, purses … pedalos?
Shred plastic. Blend it. Meld scraps together with a heat gun. Make sheets. Laser cut it. CNC it. Stitch potato bags together with soldering iron? Make fabrics with a regular iron? What have we got, what can we make? We don’t know – let’s figure it out!
1. No Objectives – this is an aimless and wandering session.
2. Bring Your Own Initiative – this is an active session and we’ll help you get creative.
Every two weeks on a Sunday afternoon, between 2pm and 5pm.
Facilitated by Plastic Tactics – follow on social for the latest updates, and to see what we make if you can’t be here in person:
The DoES Liverpool to-do list is stored in the issues of our Somebody Should repository on github. Head over there if there’s something you’d like to report, or if you want to help out fixing things.
Issue counts: 382 open, 1436 closed
2 new issues:
- Restrict ability to edit wiki to organisation members only.
- Carpet by more accessible toilet is raised
Featured issue: Write down induction requirements for equipment being promoted to Class Red (i.e. powered and machine tools for wood and metal working). Can we move this on or close it?
5 issues closed:
- Carpet by more accessible toilet is raised
- Finish building the protective conductor current test box
- Buy new blue painters’ tape and masking tape
- The laser cut knob on Sheila’s vertical adjustment mechanism is broken
- Create a shelf unit for test equipment on the worktop beside soldering bench
Thanks johnmckerrell, amcewen!