Each week we’ll endeavour to publish some details of the interesting things that members of DoES Liverpool have been up to over the past seven days. You can find out a bit more about them in our introductory post.
And remember, if you’re involved with DoES Liverpool at all, let us know what you get up to so we can include it here!
Things of Note
- DoES Liverpool: Achievement unlocked! The first room of new DoES Liverpool is finished! The #wood and #lasercutting #workshop is decorated, floor varnished and kit all moved in. Yay! #DoESMove #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/HDMgpGdZ7F
- Ross Dalziel: Alex Lennon DoES Liverpool Likewise teenage flooring
#buffer exploitation… Innovation begins at home as they say 😉 #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/EGNQPygthM
- Adrian McEwen: This looks a good box to unpack for IoT Liverpool Meetup #DoESMove #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/FjOCjEoJSZ
- IoT Liverpool Meetup: Kicking off our #iotday event and first at the new DoES Liverpool with a talk from Andy Stanford-Clark. Great to see a packed house! #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/SMIPOduKqs
- Adrian McEwen: Lovely summary of #scenius from Brian Eno. Sums up what we’re aiming for at DoES Liverpool quite nicely #weeknotes youtube.com/watch?v=d-53tz… (via Brendan Dawes)
- MCQN Ltd: Lovely write up of one of our collaborations (we do the tech in the box) on the Raspberry Pi blog #weeknotes twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/s…
- Jackie Pease: Trip to @merseybats practice night with Zarino Zappia to start prototyping some costume lights for light night #microbit #Neopixels #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/EvCqGKMhAg
- DoES Liverpool: Fantastic, we’ve just BROKEN THE SIX GRAND BARRIER on our #DoESMove #crowdfunder campaign!!! Thanks Julian Todd! bit.ly/DoEpicFunding #weeknotes
- Adrian McEwen: More Inclusive Econ Liv launch digging through my blog archives. This time finding mcqn.net/mcfilter/archi…, about culture and the DoES Liverpool ethos #weeknotes
- DoES Liverpool: Caroline Keep prototyping #keepease lighting at the first DoES Liverpool #makerday tapestrylpl #weeknotes instagram.com/p/BhjUTpsncLq/
- Alex Lennon: Me and Julian Todd diving #menaistraights #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/7KYgsnBlB0
- Adrian McEwen: Before, during (after much scrubbing and scraping but before varnish) and after. The floors of DoES Liverpool at The Tapestry #weeknotes pic.twitter.com/WCvW4NzyhO
Coming Up in the Next Week
|Wednesday 18 April, 6:30pm-8:00pm||Friends of the Earth|
|Thursday 19 April, 1:00pm-2:00pm||Community Meeting|
|Thursday 19 April, 6:30pm-9:00pm||Maker Night|
The Big Move
Did you hear, we’ve moved to The Tapestry, just off London Road. We’re open for business, but while we’re settling in we’re including a brief update on how things are going each week.
As you’ll have seen above, we’ve got one room completely finished and everything moved into it!
Things are pretty close with lots of the other rooms too – the kitchen is just waiting for some edging strip on the floor and electricity to be run to the water heater. The metal workshop has plywood flooring down, that needs the joins smoothing over and then painting, along with another coat on the walls. The floor in the main room is tantalizingly close to being done, thanks to lots of scrubbing and scraping from the community. Once the final quarter has been varnished, the assembling desks and laying out kit can commence!
We’ve almost got heating in the main room now – that should happen over the next couple of days (handily coinciding with the main room becoming ready), so the co-working will switch into that side (and some of the actual co-working space) to let them fit the heating in the events space and Room 29.
So things are moving on to building furniture and unpacking as well as scrubbing floors! Although there are floors in other rooms that still need some TLC, if that’s what you prefer to help with… something for everyone!
Our Crowdfunder Campaign
To help pay for all the costs of the move we’re running a Crowdfunder campaign. We need your money and, more importantly, your help in getting word out about it.
We’re into the final hours of the campaign, and sooooo close to hitting the target. One final push and we can see whether we can get beyond the stretch goal even!
Tell everyone to visit http://bit.ly/DoEpicFunding and dig deep!
The DoES Liverpool to-do list is stored in the issues of our Somebody Should repository on github. Head over there if there’s something you’d like to report, or if you want to help out fixing things.
Issue counts: 244 open, 516 closed
9 new issues:
- Make the “door phone” more obvious in multiple rooms
- Set up doorbots on the doors at the Tapestry
- status.doesliverpool.com is down
- Setting up a Laser Maintenance Crew
- Request a nonprofit GitHub account for the DoES Liverpool organisation
- Get the arcitype machine tool running and made portable on wheels
- Look into the lock/handle sticking on the disabled toilet on the ground floor
- Get Harry the Humungous up and running
- Make some new Gerald Rulers
Featured issue: Confirm what’s going in the small, open workshop “room” to the left as you enter the Tapestry space. Can we move this on or close it?
10 issues closed:
- Get Harry the Humungous up and running
- Kitchen sink has a small leak from the waste pipe
- Gerald needs a new bracket inside the lid to hold the cut off switch
- Update website to mention the move more
- Reassemble Gerald in the wood workshop
- Remove fire alarm sensor covers
- Ensure there is adequate lighting at ground level and particularly the landing
- Flooring for the meeting nooks
- Work out best use of space in lightwell between call nooks and kitchen
- Gerald’s bed is visibly off-kilter
DoES exists to support the community that uses DoES. If you use DoES, then you are part of that community. If you would like to publicise something related to DoES, you can email email@example.com with the formatted content for us to use as a new blog post. Tell us what you’re up to, and we’ll show the world what epic stuff happens at DoES!